• CalendarCalendar
  • Size
  • About Us
  • Boards & Committees
  • Business
  • Education
  • Visitors
  • Departments & Services

Inland Wetlands Agency*

Meets on the first Monday of each month at 6:30 pm in the Council Chamber, Audrey P. Beck Building

2018 Meeting Schedule

Download the Inland Wetland Agency’s agenda, minutes, and packets here.

Jo Ann Goodwin, Chair 


Jennifer Kaufman, AICP
Inland Wetland Agent /Environmental Planner 

 Audrey P. Beck Municipal Building
4 South Eagleville Road
Mansfield, CT 06268
860.429.3015x6204 (direct) 


 Monday through Wednesday 8:15 am - 4:30 pm
Thursdays 8:15 am - 6:30 pm
Fridays 8:00 am - 12:00 pm

The Mansfield Inland Wetlands Agency (IWA)* is responsible for enforcing Connecticut’s Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act.  The Inland Wetlands Agent/Environmental Planner and the Conservation Commission assist the IWA in establishing regulations and its evaluation of specific proposals.

Pursuant to the Town of Mansfield’s Inland Wetlands and Watercourse Regulations, when you conduct a regulated activity  in or within 150 feet of a wetland or watercourse you must submit an application for an inland wetland license. 

Apply for an Inland Wetlands License

Applications are now being filed online at http://mansfield.onlinegovt.com

It is strongly recommended that you contact the Inland Wetlands Agent prior to completing an application.

All Applications

You must detail the location of the proposed activity, its purpose, any potential effects on the wetland, and your efforts to mitigate them.  Attach to the application a map or site plan showing existing conditions and the proposed project in relation to wetland/ watercourses. Scale of map or site plan should be 1" = 40'; if this is not possible, please indicate the scale that you are using. A sketch map may be sufficient for small, projects. Download sketch map/site plan guidelines here.


Inland Wetlands Agency Applications

  1. Notify abutting property owners. Anyone whose property immediately borders the property where the activity is occurring (including those across the street) must be notified via certified mail with return receipt requested. The notification informs abutting property owners of the proposed activity and informs them that the application is available to review in the Planning Office. Notification forms can be downloaded here, or found in the Planning Office.
  2. Complete the Statewide Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Activity Reporting Form. For question six (6) you will need to use the USGS Quadrangle and Sub-Regional Drainage Basin map. The completed form must submitted with your application to the Planning Office.
  3. If the proposed activity is within the public water supplynotify the Windham Water Works and the Connecticut Department of Public Health within seven (7) days of submitting your application.
  4. Consult the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protections Natural Diversity Database Map to determine if a State or Federal listed species or significant natural community may be located on the subject property.
  5. Submit the completed application to the Planning Office with the associated fee.  


In order for your application to be on the IWA agenda, the Planning and Zoning Department must receive your application one week prior to the meeting. 

Your application will then be referred to the Conservation Commission and a site visit is conducted.  Once an application is received, and if no public hearing** is required, then the IWA has 65 days to render a decision.

If there are any questions on this process, please contact Jennifer Kaufman, Mansfield’s Inland Wetlands Agent by phone at 860-429-3015x6204 (direct) or by email at KaufmanJS@mansfieldct.org.

* IWA members are the same as those serving on the Planning and Zoning Commission (PZC)

**Public hearings are  held when: 1)  the IWA determines that the proposed activity may have significant impact on the wetlands or watercourses; 2) would be in the public interest; or 3) a petition signed by at least 25 Mansfield residents, 18 or older is submitted with 14 days of the application’s receipt by the IWA.

Links and Resources
Permitting Guide

CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection

US Environmental Protection Agency

Connecticut Association of Conservation and Inland Wetlands Commissions

Citizen's Guide To Participating in the Municipal Regulation Of Inland Wetlands and Watercourses

Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations

2002 Connecticut Guidelines for Soil Erosion and Sediment Control